Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Getting Messy with Letters

A couple of weeks ago, we decided to make a finger painting for my mother-in-law. Our first attempt turned out, let's say, less than perfect. L smeared all the paints together and his masterpiece turned into a big, black blob of paint. So, we went with it, and decided to make letters in the wet paint. We started with me showing him the motions and he copied. Next time I'll ask him to form some of the letters on his own before introducing him to new ones. With this activity it is important that you model proper formation and motions when writing the letters, as this is an introduction to handwriting. (For example, a C is made in one motion from top to bottom, not bottom up!)

Remember, forming letters this way, as well as with objects like in my Rock Letters post, is a pre-writing activity. Can you imagine how a child would feel if, for his very first exposure to forming letters, he was given a piece of paper and a pencil and was expected to write his letters? So many skills are involved with that task that it just wouldn't be fair to ask this of a child. So, pull out those paints, a piece of canvas or cardboard, and get messy!

Tip: I let the black paint dry when we were done and will use the canvas over again next time, only we will be using white paint all over the canvas so the dried black paint will show through. No need to waste materials. You can use the same canvas over and over again!


Hey, it's just paint. It'll clean up. Mostly. 




Yes, those are my child's ribs you see. I do feed him...constantly! But, for some reason he wakes up every morning and says, "I'm hungry AGAIN!" Dude, didn't I just feed you yesterday?!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment