Friday, May 18, 2012

Is every moment really teachable?

Yes. Yes, it is.

I was talking about this very topic with my son's pediatrician a couple of weeks ago. She was saying how she liked how I talked to him and explained why he could/couldn't do something. At the time, he was opening all the drawers in the room and wanting to take out every tongue depressor and cotton ball he could find. I think my response to him was something like, "Big L, please don't touch everything in the drawer. Your hands are grimy and ridden with germs, and we don't want other kids to get sick. Remember how you were scratching your butt earlier? Yeah, that's why they are filthy." (I'm actually kind of surprised that the doctor complimented me on this!)

Then a couple of days later, my son's babysitter noticed how I "talk to Big L like a little adult," meaning I don't dumb things down for him and explain things to him like he is an intelligent human being. Imagine that. Speaking to a child like his thoughts and actions actually mattered! Hmmmm, I may be on to something here.

Developing receptive language skills in an important aspect of language. Let me categorize the 4 facets of language for you..


Reading & Listening............. Receptive Language

Writing and Speaking............ Productive Language

I am working on my son's reading comprehension skills before he even learns how to read on his own, and without even using a book. Now that's talent!

***********************************************************************************
How do you talk to your child during teachable moments? Do you respond to his actions with a short, stern "no," or do you take the time to explain the consequences of his actions and the reason behind your disapproval? Put his brain to work and get him thinking about the word! 


1 comment:

  1. Usually A will stop listening long before I stop explaining things! lol. It's nice to know I'm doing some of these things without even realizing it.

    ReplyDelete