Saturday, May 26, 2012

Scramble with Kids

Big L sees me playing Scramble on my iPhone all the time. I'm slightly addicted. Quite frankly, I'm surprised that I get anything else done. For those of you that play, you know what I'm talking about here. For those of you who don't, you are seriously missing out. (Or maybe not and you actually have real life adult interactions on a day-to-day basis that keep you entertained.) Anyways, the game is like Boggle, where you are timed and have to make words with the letters that you have. 

Big L was sitting in my lap watching me play the other day, and he was reading most of the words as I made them. He couldn't get enough of it, so I decided to set up his own board to play. (I couldn't waste my precious game tokens and let him actually play on my phone, now could I?) He's 3 and a half, so of course he didn't abide by any kind of rules whatsoever, but he had fun with it. We worked on word families and plurals. (Everyone knows that the key to getting more points is by making the same word again and just adding an "s" to it.) He also made some nonsense words, like zoobu, which we would sound out and decide weren't words. 

There are so many activities you can do if you have a set of letters on hand. The ones below are wooden Melissa and Doug letters. More posts to come on what else you can do with letters....

What could you do to modify this activity for your child's ability level? Leave your suggestions as a comment below.

2 comments:

  1. Good tip.
    Modification could be putting down the word endings and have them put the letters that could go in front. For example:
    at
    You could put p, s, th, c in front. This would work on recognizing words that are words in English.
    Also you could put down a word and leave out a letter. I'd start with simple ones such as
    their name or clap leaving out the a since it is easy to hear.
    Also a math game, sort the letters by color or letters with straight lines vs those with curves, etc.
    My addiction on iphone, Mindsnacks! The pedagogy behind their games is very sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great suggestions, Julie! We sorted the letters by color yesterday and Lucas noticed a pattern (all the c's were yellow, f's were green, etc.), so then I made some letter patterns for him to complete. It was fun!

      Delete