Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Search & Find Books

I will add Search & Find books to my list of "most annoying books ever," along with Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Don't get me wrong. They are all excellent books. But, they find themselves hiding in the closet because the boy child wants to read them over and over and over again. I wish he had the same degree of passion for eating vegetables. 

So, I posted this question on Facebook with zero, count them 0, responses. I'm guessing that is because no one knew the answer and not because you all weren't interested. (Yup, I'll just keep telling myself that!)

What important reading skills do I Spy books, as well as other search & find type books, foster at a young age?


Skimming and scanning a reading passage for information is an essential reading skill that many children often lack. It takes practice to be able to quickly pull out the information that you need while disregarding all the other words on the page. (Pop quiz: Can you skim for the word test in this paragraph? How long did it take you to find it? What you just did is the skill I am talking about here!) When I was working with high school students prepping them for their ACT's, I was surprised by how many of them had difficulty with this skill and it affected their test scores a great deal. Let your toddler/preschooler have fun looking for objects in search & find books. His brain is working over time trying to sort out relevant and irrelevant visual shapes and colors. He's becoming a more skillful reader AND he's having fun! 

Some search & find books we love:
Look and Find: Disney Cars (The Cars 2 edition is much harder!)

Of course, they make roughly a million search and find books, so you are sure to find something that interests your child. These are just the boy child's favorites. Enjoy!




1 comment:

  1. We have a ton of these that we got from Scholastic. A loves them. (I'll admit - I didn't know the answer! lol)

    ReplyDelete