Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Fun with Balls: Another Teachable Moment

Balls are fun. Well, until you get married. Then, you are just too tired to play with them. 

Okay, now that I got that out of my system, I promise not to make any more ball jokes. It's just that they come to me too easily, just like jokes about caulk. Tiling the kitchen backsplash with my husband was loads of fun. Oh, how I love dirty puns!


I pulled out the inflatable pool and balls today for Little L, who is 4 months old and starting to enjoy sensory activities such as this one. Of course, Big L wanted to play, too. A common problem for moms of two is trying to keep both children entertained at the same time. For my sanity, it is nice to be able to have both children engaged in the same activity. It is extremely difficult to set up separate activities for both children all day long. Plus, I want them to be interacting with each other throughout the day. Most activities can be appealing to both children with modifications.

After about 5 minutes, the novelty of the ball pit wore off for Big L. Now what? All I have is a pool, balls, and a half-naked 3 and a half year old. (FYI, He did have underwear on. We didn't need 2 more balls in the pool.) What about this moment can possibly be teachable? I mean, I don't even have a book or letters! Every moment is teachable, remember? 

I decided to work on some vocabulary and oral language skills with Big L to focus his energy. 
  • Find a ball that is the same color as the octopus on the pool. 
  • Find two balls that match
  • Find two ball that are different
  • Find a ball that is the same color as the sun. 
  • Find a ball that is the same color as the ocean. 
  • (Showed him a green ball) Can you think of something that is the same color as this ball? (This is a harder question, as it required him to produce an answer of his own, rather than just picking up a ball.)
You get the idea. What else about this moment was teachable? Leave a comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment